Key Whakker/Thumper

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:27:08 -0700

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:41:59 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> Boy, your design sure sounds different than my double-ended grand
> hammer
> whakker.  and a lot more comfortable imho.  Besides, I am also allergic
to wool of all things :-(  Makes working on old dusty uprights really
interesting. The one thing that seems less than perfect with mine is
> that I tend
> to roll my thumb over the top of the hammer and it ends up taking
> the brunt
> ot the whakking.  My hand therapist told me that I was doing everything
correctly.  No longer using my hand in the position it would be in if
playing a piano, but rather at 90 degrees to that.  If you know anything
about martial arts I am sure that you also know that those hard blows
done with hands aren't done in a "slapping" position, but rather with the
hand in the position that the grip I am using puts my hand into.  (btw IF
you are considering making such a device to try out, all grips are not
created equal.  The ski pole that I picked out has a "flange" at the
bottom of the grip for the side of my palm and pinky to rest against.
Not all grips have that.)  Your wrist is a lot stronger in that position
and all of you fingers back up the ones in front of them.  Shares the
burden that way.  Any other questions - feel free to ask. I am
considering making one with a ball on top, but
> yours
> sounds interesting also.
>
> So what is the total length of yours - about 5 or 6 inches?Closer to 6"
It
> sounds pretty
> straight forward. When using it, do you grip it like you do for
> skiing? Only when sitting at a console or spinet style piano.  With
uprights I stand and grasp the top of the grip.  Just wish it was a
little "rounder" on the top.  Of course, I could always put about a half
of a ball on top to round the top off.  Maybe???On
> an upright, do you tend to put your hand on top of it (standing at
> an
> upright)? I don't suppose you have a pic of it?  No pic currently.
Interestingly enough I have had lots of people tell me that I should
patent the idea..not much to patent considering that I am sure the grip
was already patented.  I simply changed the function of a ski pole to
another function - one that earns money for me.  Regarding the comments
made this morning about customers being abhorred by such a device being
used on their piano - I have never had a single complaint as I always
explain just why I am using it.  When the customers see the arthritis in
my 3rd and 4th fingers they don't even question it anymore.  And yes, I
do work on some "world class" instruments with it.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.
 Thanks for any
> info.