Whacking

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:49:23 -0500

One thing that I have found, is that different pianos require different
levels of blows in order to make sure that string is equalized, and
sometimes, different areas of the same piano are different.

I am thinking of two pianos in particular that I tune regularly.  One is a
Steinway D.  It has horrible equalization problems in the lower treble
section under the capo bar.  It WILL NOT equalize without hard blows,
regardless of tuning hammer technique.  (I've followed some of the best who
didn't, and I know they didn't pound it in.)  There's also a Samick grand in
a Baptist church that's the same way, in the same section.  Without those
very hard test blows, it WILL NOT stabilize.

That being said, I have often been referred to as one of the quiet tuners.
I do not pound any harder than I have to.  There are many pianos that can be
given a very stable tuning without excessive pounding.  But when ya gotta do
it, ya gotta do it.

My $0.02

Best wishes,

Brian Trout