Why not learn to tune like thy used to tune.

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 20:28:46 -0800

  Hi Bill=20

    I think maybe the problem in all this dialogue is perhaps an issue =
of semantics .I.E.  define hard blow or whacking.  How do you do this?  =
I don' know how on a list.  However   I firmly beleive that good firm =
blows on any tuning are needed for stability.  That being said I'm not =
talking about abusive blows.  It's true that so much stability is =
acheived with really wonderful pin technique but the tunings I follow by =
those I personally know who do not use firm final blows acheive tunings =
that frankly are unstable and the unisons are always the tell tale =
culprit,  Oh so many variables I know,I know but  after 30 yrs of =
expereiencing this phenomenom I am taking this oppurtunity to express my =
bias in this area.  It is of course possible that there pin tech. isn't =
that great .  My Dad learned to tune from  William B. White in 1950 and =
the hallmark of his tunings and those of his pupils( which were 5 =
including me)was stability.  Tuning  instability was not tolerated.  So =
it that regard I concur that we should all" learn to tune like they used =
to" if this is what you mean.=20

   My advice to myself 30 yrs ago when I was younger and indefatigueable =
woud be to work on my pin tech. more and pound less BUT hey you know =
what my tunings were stable for a very long time and none of the pianos =
fell apart or were damaged due to hard blows ! =20

          Sincerely, Dale Erwin