Whacking

romanop@attglobal.net romanop@attglobal.net
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:06:28 -0500

In the PTG tuning exam, stability is checked by dropping an eight ounce
weight from six inches above the key and then checking to see that the pitch
has not changed. It is a considerable "whack".

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@jps.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: Whacking

> The PTG Tuning test has a technique to test the stability of the unison
portion of the test.  Maybe someone can post that exact info.  It is not
whacking in any way...Tuning stability is a combination of good hammer
technique and an adequate force to insure that a portion of the string
segments isn't excessively different than other segments.  Equalizing of the
segments is apparently not possible...Hitting the keys as hard as you can
until the note won't drift means a total lack of hammer technique.  I do not
whack anymore and my tunings stand up to concertos...The archives have lots
of stuff on this subject.