action bedding

Joseph Alkana josephspiano@home.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:34:26 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 6:56 AM
  Subject: Re: action bedding

  In a message dated 2/12/01 6:48:30 AM Central Standard Time, =
hsrosen@gate.net=20
  writes:=20

    Too often I am faced with an action that needs a straight forward =
adjustment=20
    to mate with the keybed. The typical noise bothers me but not the =
customer.=20
    In this scenario, the piano is usually of low quality and I feel =
fortunate=20
    to have taught the customer the responsibility of twice a year =
service. So,=20
    I hesitate trying to sell work that he/she finds unnecessary.=20

    Often I do a little here and there repairs when I tune, as a service =
to my=20
    loyal customers. I'm talking about stuff that takes 5 to 8 minutes =
of extra=20
    time beyond the tuning. But bedding an action will take a lot longer =
if done=20
    right by removing the stack using paper strips under the bedding =
screws etc.=20
    I choose not to do this if I'm not going to get paid for it. Is =
there a=20
    quick trick that you might suggest?=20

    I vaguely recall a class on this but since I am over 40, I tend to =
be=20
    forgetful. Something about raising the front of the action and =
inserting=20
    long strips of paper. Any help on this ?????? Thanks=20

    Howard S. Rosen, RPT=20

  Howard=20

  Very seldom do I have to make major adjustments in the action frame to =
get it=20
  to seat properly. Before you do anything drastic, just try adjusting =
the=20
  glide bolts. Most of the time that is all there is to it. Also, be =
sure the=20
  cheek blocks are bolted down firmly. They hold down the action frame, =
and if=20
  they are not tight, you'll hear knocking.=20

  Willem=20

  Willem,
  Except for Yamaha actions which are designed to be adjusted without =
having to affix the cheek blocks.

  Joseph Alkana   RPT