New Wurlitzer's Dampers/who's making what?

Roy Peters roy.peters@mindspring.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:37:13 -0500

Hello.

I live in Cincinnati and work on quite a few of the Baldwin products, although I
don't generally prep the new ones much any more.  As far as I know Wurlitzer
grands are still being made by Samick.  It was the Wurlitzer verticals that were
being made in Arkansas.

Robin was right on about sliding the damper guide rail over.  Jack Krefting
taught me that trick many years ago when I use to work for him.   It has saved me
much grief.  Of course, it doesn't always work, but when it does you are so glad
you didn't mess around trying to bend damper wires.  It is a good first thing to
try.  What puzzles me is that often it is the left strings that are leaking.  The
guide rail wouldn't slide towards the treble when the piano is on it's side.  Do
they mount it towards the treble assuming it will settle?

Roy Peters