action bedding

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:33:32 +1100

David and list,

Following my earlier description of using a dial gauge to adjust the
bedding screws, David Ilvedson wrote;

>How do you determine the "precise point of contact"?
>
>  >The glide bolt is adjusted down until the dial gauge reading just
>starts to move, and until >the precise point of contact of the glide
>bolt with the key bed is determined. This >procedure is repeated for
>the other glide bolts. The adjustment of all bedding screws
>will >take no longer than 5 minutes.

The dial gauge is placed right next to the bedding screw you wish to
adjust (be careful to avoid knocking it when adjusting the glide
bolt/bedding screw, and that all screws are first adjusted up away
from contact with the key bed). The instant the bedding screw
contacts the key bed, the dial needle will begin to move. The bedding
screw is backed off a little and then advanced slowly, to just the
instant the needle starts to move again. After all of the bedding
bolts have been set just to meet the key bed, go through them again,
turning them down a further 0.002" (0.05mm). This allows for the key
bed to shift a little with hygrometric changes without developing a
knock. I have found 0.002" to be a satisfactory preload for the
Sydney climate, but in more severe climates where there may be larger
swings in humidity, it might be worth winding the screws in 0.005" or
a little more.

If you are adjusting a Steinway, where the keyboard is made with a
slight bow along the front of the key frame, to be higher adjacent to
the touch blocks, don't forget to clamp down the key frame to the key
bed before setting the glide bolts. With these pianos, it's actually
a good idea to fit the touch blocks securely (checking their downward
tension and the guide pin's parallelism to the key bed) prior to
adjusting the bedding screws.

A couple of you have emailed me to inform me that your email program
was unable to mount the jpeg image of the dial gauge. For those of
you who obviously do not use Eudora 5.0, I have uploaded the image to
my website for viewing. The image can be found at;

http://www.overspianos.com.au/bdsc.jpeg

Eudora 5.0 (for both Mac and IBM platforms) can be downloaded for free from;

http://www.eudora.com

The address book in Eudora is not very good (when compared to that of
the more primitive claris emailer that I used previously). But the
program is superior in every other way.

Regard to all,

Ron O
--