newbie questions: stretching

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:36:34 +0100

Charles Neuman wrote:

> When I asked the question on stretching, I had a previous post in the back
> of my mind. I have located that post in the archives and included it
> below.
>
> I'm still a little confused about the difference between "what the
> theorists call 'stretch'" and the way a piano technician might view it.
> Are we talking just about terminology, or are there different theories on
> what stretch actually is?

There are different descriptions, ideas about, and meanings concerning what
stretch is... but as far as I am aware there is only one description of
stretch that has any thing close to a scienctific base. This whole subject has
to do with inharmonicity as it applies to pianos and if you want to understand
the basics then there are a few things you need to do. You need to aquaint
yourself thoroughly with the harmonic seires. You need to gain some
understanding of how the individual harmonic seires or two or more tones
intereact.

I might recommend the book "On Pitch"  available through the PTG Home office,
after you are comfortable with the basics of the harmonic seires and
coincident partials.

> Charles
>
> *** post from Richard Moody, January 17, 2001 ***
>
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:38:47 -0600
> From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
> Subject: Re: Small temperament octave
>
>   I suspect that if the 2:1 octave is tuned beatless
> then the double octaves will sound flat.
>
> - -Robert Scott
>
> Piano tuninig is done first and last by beats, not by sound or intonation.
> --Richard Moody

I would have to take issue with this statement.  For many (if not most) tuners
beats may be the determinant, but certainly not for all. And indeed it remains
to be seen if in the end "sound or intonation", as you put it should not be
given a far more important role then we give them now.  Grin... but thats
another subject matter...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.