non visible jpeg

The Pianolists pianolists@earthlink.net
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:26:56 -0800

>  "Robin Stevens" <pianotun@pirie.gulf.net.au> wrote:
>HI List,
>
>Just a little more on the non appearances of jpegs on the chat page.
>
>My question is....does anyone receive Jpeg images as per Ron Overs Bedding
>Jig on this chat page.
>
>If so, what Email platform are you using.....or is it that.... no-one
>receives images!!..unless you go to the links listed.
>
>Also I am continuing to receive piles of computer garbage if some one uses
>the "Rich Text HTML" format.
>
>It would be nice to have this problem was sorted out......any ideas!

If you receive pianotech-digest in "digest" form (that is, _not_ as
individual messages) you are unlikely to be able to view the attachments.
The pianotech server breaks attachments down into what appear as garbage
characters before compiling and sending out the digests. If you receive the
list as individual messages, unless you're using a really archaic e-mail
program, you should receive the graphics just fine. You said you were using
Eudora 5.0 which is current and will display graphics either embedded or as
attachments, but only if you are receiving the list as individual messages.

I have a program called UUDecoder/encoder for Win32 from Orion Software
that I got someplace or other - I think it might even have been a free
download - that with some effort makes it possible to recover these graphic
attachments. (it involves copying that part of the post into something like
WordPad and then having the UUDecoder decode it.) Although it works, it's a
lot of hassle when the attachment is someone's dog or a cutsie v-card. I
don't mind of course,when it's something useful and related to piano
technology.

As for the HTML and "Quoted Printable" stuff, I don't think there is much
to be done about it. The subject has come up on this list several times,
along with the suggestion to set one's e-mailer to "plain text" only when
posting to the list, but I suspect that some of those sending in HTML don't
realize that they are doing so, or out of courtesy they would most likely
have changed their settings.

Dean Randall
Tacoma, Washington

mailto:pianolists@earthlink.net