newbie questions: stretching

Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:35:30 +0100

Carl Teplitski wrote:

> Bass:  Would you please elaborate on bass tuning
> wide side of  octave - quint !??  What piano wants....
> Recently had a console piano that had been driven
> around the bldg. a lot during the Xmas season. Complaint
> was that the bass was badddddddd!!! " It was." Found it
> very hard to compromise an acceptable tuning. I tune aurally
> the bass and high treble. Use an ETD and aurall method to tune
> every where else. Spoke to an RPT buddy, and he sympatized
> with me on this problem. He said that for the most part he tried
> to compromise the same as I did. ( he uses an RCT. ) Looking
> for a simpler solution to give this piano what it wants.
> Many of these smaller pianos don't cooperate.
>
> Carl

Tuning small pianos, especially those who have seen taxi action, is never going to
result in easy an compromise. There are so many very audiable partials and they
dont particularilly line up well enough to be tuned to the same satisfaction we
can get out of instruments with less inharmonicity problems.

What a "piano wants" is not one of my favorite expressions but it refers to the
supposed best possible solution to the inharmonicity puzzle for that individual
instrument at that particular time.

And in anycase.... what most of these "pianos" (these itty bitty little
carboardlike boxes that make sound when you press down the keys) seem to want most
is to be given a second chance at life.... as a door, or a surfboard... or perhaps
a table... ANYthing usefull... grin

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.