pitch drop / was virgil's natural beats

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:09:35

Someone throw me a lifejacket!  Just surfaced from surfing the archives...
piano 300, brass rails, sore thumbs, and there it is, under the heading of
impedance:

>Failing that, we should measure each partial *atleast* five times and throw
>out the high number and the low number, then average the results. And
>measure the atleast the first six partials. Obviously the measure devices
>we have are pretty crude.

Ah, like a diving event. Not a bad idea. Now that I've proposed a concept
model of sorts, there's even a target to try to shoot down. This looks like
a reasonable point to call in some offers for data measurement along Don's
proposed standards, to pitch against my preliminary hypothesis and see what
falls out. I would also like to see figures representing the overall pitch
drop of the unison when the individual strings are tuned identically, at an
agreed upon partial as Roger outlined, so we can attempt to get a
correlation between partial frequencies and pitch drop, as I proposed.
Also, I'd like the make. model, and year of the piano tested, for reasons
that should be obvious. Pick a partial for the killer octave.

So, Ron N, are you still looking for info?  Maybe you should re-post exactly
what you are looking for.  Using pianolizer on RCT should be able to do
this, especially if samples are averaged.  A consistant "key bonker" would
probably be a good idea too.

Sorry Keith and Kent for getting my k's mixed on my previous post!

Ron Koval
graphman