ETD question re: unisons

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:33:52 -0500

Presumably you've read the article by Jim Coleman Sr. in which he
confirmed the phenomenon. I think he noticed it primarily in octave
5, and to some degree in octave 6.
I can measure it with my SAT II, sometimes as much as 1 cent. But
it's hard to be absolutely sure when most of my clients' pianos are
undergoing 20 - 60 cent pitch raises.
More research is certainly warranted. May I suggest to the university
technicians out there, that collecting such data, and writing an
article for the PTJournal, may not only benefit the rest of us, but
also may be useful in negotiating with your administration ("publish
or perish", research, etc.).
This research might best be conducted in a situation where there's a
stable of quality instruments (S&S Ds,& Bs for example, compared with
similar size Baldwins and Yamahas for example) already maintained at
concert ready condition (stable pitch,  excellent regulation &
voicing). Determining the note range in which the unisons go flat,
and by how much would be very valuable information. Collecting data
in conditions of varying humidity would also be helpful.

So there's a quick draft for a research project -- anybody have
further thoughts?

Patrick