inharmonicity and "Re: newbie questions: stretching"

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:16:22 -0500

> If so, then I would expect a smaller piano
> to have more inharmonicity in the bass
> than a larger one. Am I correct?

Well, yes and no.  Thicker strings yes, more inh. often because of bad
scaling not because of the shortness of the strings.  Bigger pianos
have inh. following a slightly different graph line and higher
tension.  Smaller pianos should have lower tension to allow for
greater flexibility but again there are limits here as well.

As you may begin to understand inh and piano size and tension are
moving targets.

As for high treble, the variations are caused by small changes in
string lengths, two millimeters can be a huge difference.  What makes
for more powerful tone is usually, but not always, a function of the
weight of the hammers.  Also better soundboard construction and other
factors go to make up the whole.  Here I am out of my depth and Del
and Ron O and N need to jump in here.

Regards,

		Newton