New Yamaha Verticals

Glenn Grafton glenn@graftonpiano.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:31:31 -0500

>Does anyone know what the significant differences are among the new Yamaha
>T116, M450, and P22? It would appear to me they are all consoles, and all
>have the same A0 string length of 44.5". Does this mean they all have the
>same stringing scale? Do they have the same action? The T116 and the P22 are
>similar in price, but the M450 is said to be almost $1000 less. Yamaha left
>out $900 worth of what? Thanks. I'm just trying to help a "new"
>(?potentially?) client.
>
>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Actually the M450 & M500 are one scale design, the P22 & the T116 are another.
The M450 & M500 models fall into the console category since they're
under 45" tall (44"), but are very close.

While the lowest bass string is the same on both the consoles,
compare the same string length and total sound board area on some
other pianos and you see what I mean:

Make		Model	String length	Sound Board Area
Consoles
Yamaha		M450	44.5"		1943 sq. inches
Yamaha		M500	44.5"		1943 sq. inches
45" Uprights
Yamaha		P22	44.5		2011
Steinway	1510	43.5		1944
Petroff		115	41.3		1906

There are pianos that have longer #1 bass strings and larger
soundboards-it's not the only benchmark, as what matters is what the
results are.

So, the Yamaha consoles and 45" uprights are different scale designs.

The actions in the P22 and the T116 ARE 2" taller than the actions in
the consoles.

Hope this helps.

Your client can't go wrong with any of the Yamaha's. More serious
pianists and schools often lean to the 45" models, but the 44"
consoles actually outperform many 45" studio pianos on the market.
--
Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.