brightness of Steinways

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:23:59 -0600

Hey Andy,
I'm not sure if it was stressed enough in other posts, but your tech may not
be comfortable (ABLE to) with brightening the piano.  Most of the new
Steinways I see are muffled and require hardening and some light filing to
get the fluff off of the surface of hammers.  Also, seating the strings will
give volume and clarity where it wasn't before.  Steinway expects up to 10
hours of dealer prep on these pianos.

Make sure that the tech is able to do the job, those are the only hammers
Steinway sends with that L.  Adding hardener is tricky and unwanted noise is
close at hand.  Good luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
AAKStar@AOL.COM
  Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 12:53 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: brightness of Steinways

  Hello,

  This is my first time posting to the channel.

  I want to know how bright a voiced and regulated Steinway should be? The
  reason I ask is because a technician just voiced and regulated my Steinway
L,
  and it sounds so dull and soft that I want to call him back to tell him to
  re-voice it! But I know he will say that Steinways are supposed to be
  textured and less brighter than the Asian pianos.

  I will counter by saying that at my local music institute, all of the
pianos
  are "lacquered" to make them quite bright. I love brightness, as long as
it
  is not metallic or brittle sounding.

  So my question is, do you lacquer your Steinways on a regular basis?
Because
  most or if not all of them come out of the factory quite dull.

  Andy