ETD question re: unisons

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:05:56 +0000

 Hi Roger, and list,
         If the increased energy/power yeilded by having additional strings is
the cause of unison pitch drop, why wouldn't playing louder also cause a pitch
drop?
      Few piano strings are stable at a single pitch throughout all of attack,
(prompt sound), and die off, (after sound).  My general observation is this:
The pitch of the unison is EQUAL to the lowest registering pitch AT ANY TIME in
the attack/decay cycle by ANY ONE OF THE THREE STRINGS.  Check this observation
and see if you find it so.  Many individual strings can full blush for several
seconds (be very close), only to suddenly register flat-- a whole cent flat for
a brief instant and suddenly return to full blush.  Could the soundboard be
forcing/imposing a frequency against the will of the string and simply winning
the battle for a second or less?
-Mike Jorgensen