brightness of Steinways

David Love davidlovepianos@hotmail.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:17:25 -0000

You need to level the strings before you fit the hammers.  If you fit the
hammers and the strings are not level then when you use the una corda pedal
the hammer may no longer fit the two strings it should be contacting.  To
level the strings I use a small 6" ruler that is narrow enough to only
encompass one set of unisons.  Set the ruler leaning over so it contacts the
left hand unison.  As you pluck the right hand unison roll the ruler slowly
over until you can hear it contact the string you are plucking.  Hold the
ruler very still and pluck all three strings and see of they are contacting
the flat edge of the ruler.  If one string is lower than the others it will
be open and not buzz against the ruler.  (you can also purchase brass cubes
that are designed for setting on the string).  Take a string hook and pull
the low string up gently near the agraffe (or the V bar).  It doesn't take
much.  Then test again.  Though it is nice to have the strings precisely
parallel to the floor, it is not absolutely necessary.  It is only important
that the top of the hammer is on the same plane as the strings.  Once you
have leveled the strings you can then fit the hammers by blocking them up
against the string by pushing up on the jack tender (the most accurate) or
using a spring hook to lift the hammer to the strings.  (You will notice
that if the let-off is adjusted to low that you will have a hard time
blocking the string by pushing up on the jack.)  When you block the hammers
against the strings and pluck each of the unisons, they should each be muted
by the hammer.  If one of the strings is open then that side of the hammer
is too low and you will have to file the high side.  Be sure you maintain
the overall shape of the hammer when you file.  Go through and mark with
chalk on the keys which sides of the hammer are too high (make up your own
code).

Note:  Be sure that the cheek blocks are in when you do your testing so that
the action will be in the same place when you put it all back together.
There is another trick for blocking the hammers.  Take a thin strip of
fabric and place it on top of jacks underneath the knuckle along an entire
section.  Be sure that the hammers are not raised so much that they will
catch on the stretcher or the underside of the pinblock.  Slide the action
back in carefully as this will raise the hammer line and you don't want to
snap off any hammers.  Now when you push down on the keys the hammers will
block against the strings and you can go through easily without having to
deal with presssing up on the jack, which is sometimes awkward, or lifting
with a string hook, which is sometimes inaccurate.

David Love