brightness of Steinways

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:41:20 -0500

ILEENKM@AOL.COM wrote:

> Thank you Stan and Joe for the info- Joe- I would be interested in  prices
> etc for those  tools.  You can email me at ILEENKM@aol.com.  Meanwhile- here
> is my quandary-  this certain  Knabe  grand which I spoke  of  definitely
> has  hammer /string mating problems-  I would like to be specific  when I go
> back to   the rebuilder  who has asked me to voice the  piano-  he  only
> restrings  and he has a tecnician who does the  hammer and  action work-  I
> can sort of by feel tell that the strings are not all level but I don't
> trust that  perception completely-  I would like to be  more certain,  but
> not having that  neat levelling tool yet- how  can I approach this  without
> sounding  too  vague?  Thanks- Ileen

There is a tool that Chris Robinson developed that uses a lever and a
small roller to level strings after a restring but before installing
dampers.  Level tune level tune, etc.  The purpose is to level all
three strings of an unison at the same time and also to more crisply
define string termination at the agraffe / capo bar.  Not wise to use
on old strings though.

This tool is available from Pianoteik.

It is essential for fine finish work on a restringing.

		Newton