Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

Laura Olsen laura257@chicagonet.net
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:25:57 -0600

It seems to me you could get yourself in a world of trouble power sanding
ivories.  They're thin enough as it is.  Wouldn't they become more brittle?
I use A buffing wheel.  It polishes them up nicely.

Laura Olsen, RPT
Team2001 Institute Director
44th Annual PTG Convention & Institute
July 11-15, 2001
Reno, Nevada
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Piesik, John (JPIESIK)
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 12:24 PM
To: Pianotech Post Msg (E-mail)
Subject: Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

Does anyone out there have any experience with sanding and polishing ivory
keytops with a palm-type orbital power finishing sander?

I'd like to learn of your experiences with power sanders, which power sander
models are best (Bosch vs Makita, variable speed controls, pad shapes, motor
amps, weight, etc), etc. Also, how well do power sanders work at polishing?

The main objective is to keep the heat produced by friction to a minimum
(heat compromises the keytop glue joint). I've long ago discovered that
working by hand is the safest way to work with ivory while providing the
most control. However, of course, it's also the most laborious method. But,
just maybe there's a better/quicker way...

Many Thanks,
John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA