Rename subject-Weinrich/wapin

Meyer Carl cmpiano@home.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 19:08:02 -0800

Thanks to Tom Cole, Ron Nossaman, and Richard Brekne for responding to =
my post.

This is a real can of worms.  I'm still fishing, even if my license has =
expired.

I've just spent some time looking at the wapin.com site.  They say that =
wapin improves sustain. =20

Okay, Ron,  if you think that it is supposed to keep the string =
vibrating vertically, then the sustain must be less.

I'm not sure exactly what some of the parameters of the curves they show =
mean, but one important factor is missing.  The HP dynamic signal =
analyzer,  I'm not familiar with.  I'll call HP Monday and find out.  =
The factor that is missing is time.  The curve of the wapin piano in log =
mode shows all partials out to number 39 and then stops.  The note used =
is d3.  The 39th partial is 5726 Hz theoretically, but stretch may make =
it much higher.

Now, I would like to know the time that the reading was taken.  From =
time zero (when the hammer hits the string) amplitude of the partials =
vary dramatically as they phase in and out.  A plot of the level of =
partials versus time would be very meaningful.  A plot of each partial =
versus time would get tedious, but a plot similar to Weinrichs giving =
the overall loudness of the total signal would give us the answer to =
what the decay would be. =20

I suspect the graph shown of the wapin piano averages the amplitude over =
a time period. For it to be meaningful we need to know what that time =
period is.

Richard, I wouldn't fret that you're not an acoustic professor.  Nothing =
will destroy your common sense faster than a formal education unless it =
would being elected to public office.  Do you really think that those =
that have access to that fancy equipment have the mind to use it?

Fascinating subject to be sure.  My interest is fueled by the obscene =
charge to license wapin.
Nothing would delight me more than finding a way to equal or improve on =
wapin with out infringing on their patent.

Keep those cards and letters coming in.

Carl Meyer

=20