String massage

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:24:37 +0100

Hi gang!

I got a reply from Ruud Billenkamp some months ago and now I'm going to =
pitch raise and tune one of those Rippens

I made myself a string voicing tool of a brass rod that I can put into =
my regulatingscrewdriver.

Can it help me to stabilise the pressure of the speaking and nonspeaking =
areas if I massage the string? Espessially in the last one and a half =
octave. Will it save me time and give me a more stabile result? I've =
tried it and noticed the string reacts alot to it.

Do anybody have thougts about this?
What part of the string do I start with and how much massage is needed?
I've tried to use the archives but it want work today.
I also seen this done by Jim Coleman on a Video but he used it for =
setting the string.

Many Thanks=20

Ola Andersson

The Reply was

>> I had to pitch raise and tune a Rippen today!
>> My question is:
>> Because of the  long "non speaking" area of the string next to the =
pins.
>>(Sorry for my bad explaination but I'm exhausted) you know what I =
mean. How
>>is the best way of doing this on a Rippen (pitchraise + tune)? I =
suppose you
>>done some?

>My way, could be, pitch raise first, gentle of course, then press down? =
and
>strike all the wire from the hitchpins to the tuningpins to loose all =
the
>rusty points where the wire sticks to the pins and=20
>Then press the sustain and BANGG all the keys to equal all the
>tensionpartials.
>Well I could do it this way i think.

Rudyard,