Yamaha electric grand

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:05:19 -0500

Greetings -

As requested (by Terry, I believe), these are my thoughts on my first
encounter with the Yamaha electric grand.

Certainly, everything that was posted here by the list I would agree with
100%.  Additionally, I would add that I was very pleasantly surprised
with the ease with which the strings rendered, even though, as mentioned
more than once, tuning the bass is a very large compromise.  Tuning the
rest was a breeze.

Also, I was intrigued by the way access to the action is accomplished.  I
would never have guessed that I would be pivoting the entire
plate/strings structure upward, similar to raising the hood of my car, to
get to the action.  It was simple, quick, and effective.  Despite many
years of obvious abuse, this piano only needed a few let-off adjustments
to be working quite well.

Although obviously not a piano for serious playing, I consider it a very
interesting addition to the piano line-up, and a successful attempt to
provide the itinerant player with a dependable and musical axe he can
take with him to the gig.

Kudos to Yamaha!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com