resultant tones

John Meulendijks jmjmeulendijks@planet.nl
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:47:17 +0100

To Richard,

My ability to read the German language is better than the reading of
English. In writing I experience more difficulties with the German language.
Maybe except for one issue: the vocabulaire........ (taken your remark as a
compliment: thanks.)
My using us the c' as (indeed) symbol for key #40, stemms from what is
current in (european) musical theory. At least I thought it was current.
Your question makes me reconsider this. You may also have noticed that I
used 'quint' , changing it to 'fifth'. Also due to geografically restricted
terminology. So for best communication I should use C0, C1,........C8?
If you wanted to know what the Dutch/ Middle-European musical theory
proposes:
Subcontra:("C- "Gsharp(Gis)) there is #1:"A, "Bflat(Bb), "B     (note:
written in capitals, and also as  C2, till B2)
Contrabas: 'C,........,'B;
(also C1.....B1)
Big octave/ Great? (I realise this has no Anglo-saxon parallel-
terminology): C,.......B.
Little octave/ Small? (......)   c,........b.          (mark the small ones)
one-marked octave                c'.........b'.
(AKA  c1......b1)
two-maked octave                c''........b''
(AKA c2......b2)
three.....
etc......
In tuning theory we were educated in the same way.

There is a piano (grand piano) where I normally without exception experience
the difference tone (or the tone that isn't there, but is only suggested in
my head (the other view to the phenomenon)). This is a Schimmel grand. I
don't know why that is, it's not the copy, it's the brand (if they are not
to old). It happens sometimes with other instruments also. What puzzles me
is why is it only in the 5th /6th octave? I don't believe it has to do with
stretching to a certain amount: I tried to alter it, but it does not
disappaer within small changes. Anyways, thank you for replying.

John Meulendijks
Tilburg,
The Netherlands