Steinway plate holes

Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:31:36 -0600

Ron N,

At 17:21 02/19/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >> Tradition.
> >> Conrad
>
> > Is this the real reason, or just your opinion of why they holes are
> recessed?
> > Wim
>
>..........Seems like they
>would have been proud enough of doing something to no apparent purpose that
>takes extra time in the manufacturing process to make a marketing point of
>it.
>Ron N

For lack of better explanations, let me start an urban legend.....

         A long time ago in a land almost forgotten, and Steinways were
just aborning, the workmen were creating the standard piano plate.  How
shall we do this, und how shall ve do zat, but they were never told how the
tuning pin holes in the plate should be drilled.

         So, they decided to make a sampler plate with some sections
drilled in one way and the others another.  They inquired of Herr(n)
Steinway, "Which way is more ęsthetically pleasing to you?" , but never got
an answer.  So to this day all the plates are made with some one way and
some the other......

ANY RESEMBLENCE BETWEEN THE ABOVE AND THE TRUTH IS STRICTLY COINCIDENTAL!

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
then used against you.