inharmonicity and "Re: newbie questions: stretching"

John Meulendijks jmjmeulendijks@planet.nl
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:42:57 +0100

I'm afraid I just have to reply........

I do state that degrees in inharmonicity vary. Very. Even within one
instrument. I don't see how you can make me say differently from the content
of my previous mail. I think it is a nice idea to leave texts unscattered.
Apologise for being a bit strict on this. Even so I don't put in extra
inharmonicity above what the piano tells me to do. I replied there to
someone who wants to know how many he/she should add.

I like your explanation of tuning on volume. Gives me something to think
over. To be (to) fast in answering I'd tend to answer that the volume of a
unison out of tune varies and therefor is concieved as being louder (we
focus on the loudest moments.). It is this varying that makes the beats. In
the bass I tune the contrabass (single stringed) mostly without any other
checks but octaves. And I feel very secure about it. Maybe I am using your
method there: listening to volume. I never get complaints about my bass.
Sometimes I don't agree with myself, then I don't feel that secure. But then
I use every possible extra help (aural). Mostly I end up with deciding on
the third and duodeciem.

greetings

John Meulendijks
Tilburg