Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

Piesik, John (JPIESIK) JPIESIK@arinc.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:31:30 -0500

Thanks, Carl! This is what I was looking for. (One can't truly appreciate
sanding ivory unless they've done it.) 600 grit is where I stop, too. I've
been able to remove just about ALL traces of yellowing with sanding - and as
you know, Carl, it turns out beautiful beyond belief! Automotive rubbing
compounds (red and white) work great for the final polishing. Have you ever
used your finishing sander to do the polishing? A white sheen, glass-like
smoothless, perfectly scratchless, keyboard - and the look on the clients
happy faces! I'm currently working on a 1896 Art Case Steinway B ivory set -
the keysticks themselves are works of art! Glad to hear it works for you.
Regards, John Piesik

-----Original Message-----
From: Meyer Carl [mailto:cmpiano@home.com]
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 8:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Power Sanders and Ivory Keys

I sand keytops (ivory, never tried plastic unless scratched).  I have two
sanders, both Porter cable.  The large one is 10000 opm and the smaller
square one is 14000 opm.
I usually go to at least 600 grit.  Maybe that compensates for the lower
speed.

One thing I do is to put a half inch angle iron bar (a half inch square
piece of dimensional lumber will work if it's straight) under the fronts of
the keys.  Leave the keys in the action frame or the upright piano and
remove the cheek blocks.  Remove the sharps of course.  The keys will be
lifted slightly above the balance rail  and be flat relative to the bottom
of the fronts of the keys.

After the coarse sanding I will usually use the hydrogen peroxide and
sunlight to further bleach them before fine sanding and buffing.  Works for
me.

Carl Meyer