string seating/ was String massage

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:50:05 -0500

Related to the massage discussion, I'd like to throw out my
experience with seating strings to the bridges. I use a hammer shank,
given a very light tap by a standard size hammer. I find I'm usually
taking the time for this procedure on Asian grands, hoping to clear
up false beats & improve the tone.
This doesn't gravely affect the pitch in the bass & low tenor, but
the pitch drops considerably from the mid section to the high treble.
I often see a pitch drop of maybe 60 cents by the top octave. Which
of course means another pitch correction pass (or two) to stabilize
the situation. It seems to me that when going over the tuning it is
even more unstable than if I were doing a similar amount of pitch
correction (without touching the bridge seating).
The good news is that the tone is improved. The bad news is that I
worry about the stability of the unisons in the following days &
weeks.
Should I be pre-selling a follow-up tuning when doing string seating?
What are your thoughts/experiences?

Patrick