resultant tones

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:47:32 -0600

Hi Mike,

Assuming ET and zero inharmonicity the theoretical values are:

A4 =~ 440    hertz
F4 =~ 349.43 hertz

difference is 90.57 hertz which is a bit closer to F2 (87.31) than F#2.

A "just" (non tempered) third would produce a resultant tone exactly two
octaves below the lower note.

Of course the values will vary from location to location slightly as there
is no guaranttee of accuracy from the telecos!

http://www.allchurchsound.com/ACS/pdf/PIANO.pdf

At 09:32 AM 2/22/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I once heard from a theory teacher that a dial tone in the United States is a
>difference tone and some people hear it as two distinct high treble
pitches.  I
>hear one tone equal to F# 2.  Is there anybody on this list who hears it
>differently?
>
>-Mike Jorgensen
>
>Richard Moody wrote:

Regards,