Likes her old clunker

BH bholden@wave.co.nz
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 20:30:23 +1300

Ron

This is not just a piano issue, it happens when we change houses, cars, =
shoes, dentures and just about anything else you can name.  I believe =
you when you say the piano has absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Her =
reaction to the piano is psychological and quite common.  When I used to =
sell instruments for a music store, we had cases where the customer =
asked to return the new organ or whatever, a couple of days after =
delivery.  I call it the "Post Purchase Syndrome".

I suspect that your customer after having spent all that money, and =
finding the piano very different to her old tried and trusted model, has =
panicked and is looking for a way out.  The thought of parting with the =
her old piano has been difficult to bear.  Given time, she will almost =
certainly come round to realizing that the CW is superior piano.

What to do?  You've done the right thing by giving her two weeks to get =
used to the feel.  At the end of that period, you should call on her =
again and listen to what she has to say.  Take the time to make any =
adjustments you think might make her happier no matter how minuscule =
they may appear to be.  This way, she has seen you do something to =
rectify any problems and will be reassured by this.  If you tell her =
that it's just her imagination and do nothing, you will not win favor =
with this woman.  Also tell her that it is quite normal for her to feel =
as she does after having made such a major purchase.  If her old beast =
is still in the home and she has the opportunity to compare it over the =
next few weeks with the CW, she will quickly see that the old one is =
inferior.  You don't have to tell her this - she will find out for =
herself.=20

As a technician and salesman, you have an obligation to offer service =
and reassurance to your customer, which I know you are doing.  In =
return, your customer must give you reasonable opportunity to correct =
any matters that may arise from the sale.=20

Good luck!

Brian Holden, Piano Tuner, New Zealand.   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20