cracked plate

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rshiflet@eaznet.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:31:51 -0700

    I wasn't in on the original question here.  My reply may not fit the =
original question so I'll just comment. =20
    I've only come across one cracked plate so far.  Kimball console.  =
It was a half step flat.  I raised the pitch and it went back to half =
step flat.  I suspected cracked plate but couldn't find it.  I called =
Roger W.  at Kimball and he told me where to look.  Sure enough, the =
crack was there, but it was discreet and hard to see.  I had to pull the =
action.  I bought the piano for $100 for the experimental value.
    There's a technician in Utah who repairs cracked plated with great =
results, Salt Lake City Chapter, name is Young, I believe.  Great guy.  =
Rick Baldassin knows him.  Anyway, he told me how to repair it, I didn't =
have the correct welder and fixing it exceeded the vaue of the piano so =
I scrapped it.  For what it's worth.

Ron
   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tom Driscoll=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 1:09 AM
  Subject: cracked plate

  Dave , Just a guess, but from your description and careful inspection =
, I'd suspect a sudden change between the pinblock and the plate flange. =
Perhaps some type of glue joint failure ,especially if the block is in =
sections.That hitch pin area does seem suspicious, but  if the plate was =
broken or had a crack, it would seem to me that tuning stability would =
not be possible at any pitch. I'm thinking that any failure in that =
block, back post, fillers etc assembly would be loud,and create the =
changes as you describe. Maybe the plate flange is what cracked? Late =
night speculations from a cold Northeast .  Tom Driscoll