key tops

RustRazor@AOL.COM RustRazor@AOL.COM
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:05:18 EST

Hi Karen:

If you are a guild member, why don't you ask around at your next meeting.
Piano techs, like myself who have done a number of key recoverings usually
have amassed a collection of old ivory keytops for use in situations just the
one you are in.  Ask if you can borrow a bucket of old ivories and just match
them the best you can to the piano.  Sometimes you may have to file the edges
of the ivory a little to fit the key.  I definately recommend removing the
old glue from the key and ivory before gluing the replacement one on.  I
don't know if keytop dimensions are on-file for 100 year old pianos and I
suggest that trying to find the "correct" ivories that way won't get you very
far.

Good Luck, Matt