Likes her old clunker

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:34:59 -0800

Buyers remorse!

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 2/23/01 at 8:30 PM BH wrote:
Ron

This is not just a piano issue, it happens when we change houses, cars,=
 shoes, dentures and just about anything else you can name.  I believe you=
 when you say the piano has absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Her reaction=
 to the piano is psychological and quite common.  When I used to sell=
 instruments for a music store, we had cases where the customer asked to=
 return the new organ or whatever, a couple of days after delivery.  I call=
 it the "Post Purchase Syndrome".

I suspect that your customer after having spent all that money, and finding=
 the piano very different to her old tried and trusted model, has panicked=
 and is looking for a way out.  The thought of parting with the her old=
 piano has been difficult to bear.  Given time, she will almost certainly=
 come round to realizing that the CW is superior piano.

What to do?  You've done the right thing by giving her two weeks to get=
 used to the feel.  At the end of that period, you should call on her again=
 and listen to what she has to say.  Take the time to make any adjustments=
 you think might make her happier no matter how minuscule they may appear=
 to be.  This way, she has seen you do something to rectify any problems=
 and will be reassured by this.  If you tell her that it's just her=
 imagination and do nothing, you will not win favor with this woman.  Also=
 tell her that it is quite normal for her to feel as she does after having=
 made such a major purchase.  If her old beast is still in the home and she=
 has the opportunity to compare it over the next few weeks with the CW, she=
 will quickly see that the old one is inferior.  You don't have to tell her=
 this - she will find out for herself.

As a technician and salesman, you have an obligation to offer service and=
 reassurance to your customer, which I know you are doing.  In return, your=
 customer must give you reasonable opportunity to correct any matters that=
 may arise from the sale.

Good luck!

Brian Holden, Piano Tuner, New Zealand.