traveling

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:21:30 +0100

Avery Todd wrote:

> Pris isn't saying that pre-traveling isn't a good way to do it,
> necessarily. She's only saying that it isn't "necessary" because once the hammers
> are hung, you usually have to go back and do a good bit of traveling anyway.

This is fair enough. Question is whether its desirable or not to do it one way or
the other. I suppose in the end thats going to end up being  up to the individual

> . I've bought pre-hung hammers and there is a lot of traveling and
> burning to do once they are installed,

No argument here... thats one of the reason I never buy prehung hammers. Yamaha
and  Steinway included.

>  it's very difficult to grasp the concept even in a class. You have to ignore
> the"traveling" of the hammer and pay attention to the "air", "light",
> whatever, betweenthe top and the tail of the hammer when gluing.

Well Paul made the principle clear enough. Like I said its easy to see how this
would work. His key point as I read it was...

>What this achieves is an orientation that is perpendicular to the
>axis of travel, though not necessarily vertical until traveling has been done.

Seems interesting enough to give it a try.... after it was first adequately
explained by you and Paul.

> I've tried to use the "lines drawn on a piece of wood" method of pre-traveling
> but I just have never been able to get it so accurate that I didn't have to go
> back and spend just about as much time as at the beginning in traveling after the
> hammers are hung and if I can avoid it, I really hate having to do the same job
> twice. :-)

I guess it boils down to what works for you then eh ?

> Avery
>
> P.S. Does E for Effort count? :-)

Only if its an S.E.   :)

Richard Brekne