Grand regulating

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:45:15 -0500

>Hello list,
>
>My name is Louis Verkoelen. I am a new associate tech high in the resort
>communities of southern California and have been tuning part time for
>several years. I have been following the list for a couple of months now and
>the more I read the more I realize I have yet to learn. I am hoping to take
>my tests sometime next year and make this a full time business.
>
>I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. I am doing my
>first full regulation on a 1929 4'10" Wurlitzer grand. The lady picked it up
>for a song and figured I could make it work right. It looks like it hasn't
>been regulated since new. Let off is over 1/2".
>Anyway, to my questions.
>1.When leveling, are the clip on weights the best way to go or is their a
>better way.
>2.I need a let-off rack. Is the Jaras 4 in 1 rack (shaff) any good or should
>I stick to the traditional wood style.
>3.The blocks that hold the key frame in place are missing. They were
>originally part of the cheek blocks. Does anybody sell a replacement (havn't
>seen them in the Schaff or APSCO catalogs) or do I have to fabricate a set.
>If I have to make, whats the best material to use.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Louis Verkoelen
>Big Bear City, CA

Louis,

Welcome to the glamorous world of regulation.

1.  I use the clip on types because that's what I am used to.  I do not
recommend using the lead weights that "nail" on to the back of the key.
They leave a lot of ugly holes.

It is possible to level keys with the stack on by putting a slit in the
punching and installing it from underneath the key frame with tweezers.

2.  My first let off rack was home made from scrap wood.  I only got the
store bought kind because I have a budget here now and it is easier for
students to work with.

3.  Should be fairly easy to make.  Use any decent hard wood scraps you
have in the shop.  Drill the guide rail hole big enough to line with felt
like you would a hammer flange or damper guide and be sure to counter sink
the two screw holes so the key block fits over your guide block.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
-School of Music, Ohio University
-Athens, OH  45701