traveling/traveling/ traveling?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 06:48:02 -0500

Thanks for the post. Could you (or anyone else) elaborate on the =
following statement "Not all Shanks are "traveled " straight up & down. =
Depending on the horizontal Hammer angle, the Shank may be "traveled" 1 =
or 2 degrees Left or Right." I was not aware of such a condition. =
Where/when does one encounter this? A particular manufacturer? Is this =
something that is sometimes done to otherwise correct an un-correctable =
action? Thanks for any clarification.

And thank you so much for your participation on this list, Mr. Snyder. =
Your wisdom and insight is so much appreciated by us less experienced =
ones. I have enjoyed your (and your son) classes at the conventions.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Vilsnyder@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 11:28 PM
  Subject: Re: traveling/traveling/ traveling?

  To Dale. List;=20
  We believe that Shanks should be "traveled" prior to hanging Hammers.  =
Today,=20
  we select a shank near the ends of each section & a Shank in the =
middle, mark=20
  them with chalk & then "travel" those marked Shanks to be used as =
guides. The=20
  lifting of the Shanks to determine travel is done by pushing up on the =

  Knuckle from underneath as this is least apt to distort the vertical =
travel, &=20
  then paper as=20
  needed. Lifting the Shank from above with a hook will distort the =
Shank,=20
  especially=20
  with the lower friction on the Shank Centers, these days. Not all =
Shanks are=20
  "traveled " straight up & down. Depending on the horizontal Hammer =
angle, the=20
  Shank may be "traveled" 1 or 2 degrees Left or Right.  Once the sample =
Shanks=20
    are "traveled", a straight edge is used underneath all the Shanks in =
a=20
  section and=20
  and comparisonmade with the samples.  This helps to speed up the =
process.=20
  After=20
  the Hammers are glued on & dried, minor correction can be made by =
"burning".=20
  A most critical part of the whole procedure is to carefully evaluate =
the=20
  Centerpinning  &  weighing &  make corrections before  mounting.=20
  Best regards,  Willis Snyder=20

       =20