Verituner Update

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:13:11 +0100

Dave Carpenter wrote:

> If you are using One-Step Tuning, you always tune from A4 outwards. A4 is
> tuned first, always. A4 is an exceptional note - it never moves no matter
> what inharmonicity measurements are taken. It is always tuned to Patial 1 =
> 440 (or whatever you select for standard pitch).
>
> Then when you tune new notes, they are always tuned with reference to
> already tuned notes. The tuning for a new note is recalculated during the
> first few moments of its tuning. That is, when you arrive at a new note, its
> tuning target is first set to an initial value based upon readings taken
> thus far. You  begin tuning towards this approximate target. Then when the
> inharmonicity is read for that note (during the first few seconds of
> sounding the note), its tuning target is refined and you finish fine tuning
> the note. This all occurs within a few seconds. So the Verituner is not
> really a step behind, it's more like "just in time".
>
> Maybe I am not following your example correctly. Please let me know if I
> have missed your question.

I think you understood correctly... What I am not certain about is how what you
say the Verituner does is possible. From what I have understood on previous
threads on this general subject matter, this kind of real time measuring should
be .... not dependable enough. This leads me to believe that either you are
doing something new by way of measuring, or the other ETD inventors are wrong in
their statements regarding this kind of measuring, or... (grin) you are out to
lunch.....  You did mention something about partials taken as ratios more orless
instantaneously... I wonder if you could expound a bit on that.

Not haveing seen the Verituner yet I of course cannot draw any judgement, but I
will say that your approach, as so far described, is intriguing. And if you can
measure on the fly as you say you can this opens the door for a lot of other
ideas that have been tossed around.

Last year at Arlington your system didnt seem to be quite ready, I hope this
year at Reno we will get a chance to see what this ETD can do.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.