Only one bass string scale for the M&H AA?

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:09:49 -0500

When I ordered a set of bass strings for a 57-bass M&H AA, I offered
to send the original strings out for an exact copy. "No need", said
the sales lady at the #2 (in quantity) bass string winder. "For
57-bass there was only one scale." OK by me, I wouldn't have to
wrassle a set of strings into a body bag and mail 'em out.

They showed up two weeks ago, and I should have looked at them then.
The top string in the tenor trichords in the new set, starts the
winding at the same point as the old (measuring from the eye), but
ends 5/8" earlier. The bottom new trichord string starts 1/2" earlier
than the old, and ends at the same spot. (If you get my drift.)

I'm calling the string winder tomorrow to find out what we can do
about this. 2 mismatches out of 57 is by no means a good sample, and
I don't have the time to measure the entire set. But who can tolerate
a single mismatch?

Has anyone else been in this situation before? I wanted to put them
on tomorrow. (No, I don't rescale.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter