vertical damper springs

Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:55:30 -0800

Yes, of course the damper spring has an effect on touch. Especially on =
soft blows. If the damper springs are excessively tight it can be some =
difficult to control pianissimo and to hold the key down for sustain. =
Well, ok, it's not going to require all of your hand and arm strength, =
but you're going to have to concentrate on it instead of the music.=20

Hence my advice over the years to properly mass-load the vertical damper =
just as we do the grand damper. Then spring pressure doesn't have to be =
nearly so great to achieve good damping.

Del

-------

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: February 27, 2001 2:32 AM
  Subject: Re: vertical damper springs

  List=20
  Does anyone have an efficient method to even out spring tension=20
  on new vertical damper springs?=20

  Mark Ritchie RPT

    The question is, is it worth the trouble to adjust the damper spring =
tension?=20
    In other words, how much effect does uneven damper spring tension =
have on the=20
    touch?=20

    Willem

  Im sorry.... must misunderstand this answer.... why did you REALLY =
write this ? Damper spring tension can have up to and including a =
decisive impact on touch. We all know this or what???=20
  Its early (just out of bed) I am sick and groggy so perhaps I have =
missed something er.....essential on this thread...=20

  confused and sniffled=20

  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20
  Bergen, Norway=20