pretraveling

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 06:06:18 -0600

Ron's response below raises an interesting question.  For those who regularly
repin or rebush, do you find the travel changed?
    I had assumed the pin would be off axis in the flange rather than the birds
eye.  In the flange because of the double chance that the two holes might be
slightly off, and exerbated by the fact that the felt bushing hole might become
lopsided, or off center from reaming and the vaguries of felt forming a pefectly
centered hole in side a hole in wood.   So much for assumptions.
    On further thought though .if the pin were parallel to axis of travel, but
the birds eye axis off (through mis drilling), wouldn't the hammer (end of shank
actually) still travel in a straight line?  If the hammer were hung after the
shank and flange mounted I would imagine the only issue then would be the
knuckle not being parallel to the rep lever.  Hmmm if pre hung hammers get into
trouble perhaps this is why.  But how can you pre hang hammers without pre
traveling them?   ---ric