Roxanne

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:55:18 -0700

Roxxane is quite a girl.  At first she seemed disinterested as I
disassembled the piano to prepare for tuning.  Then I opened the tool
case.  She sat upright in the chair and peered into the box with
amazement.  I pulled out the SAT II and set it on the piano.  As I
unwound the foot pedal cord her eyes grew large in wonder.  Each time I
reached into the case to pull out something new her eyes would follow my
every movement.  I stuffed the mute strip into the piano.  This would be
a rather unremarkable act for most but unbelievable for Roxxane.  I
carefully placed the tuning hammer on a tuning pin and turned on the
SAT.  Wow, lights!  Now that's excitement!  Roxanne starred at them
round and round.

As I began my tuning she looked at the hammers moving up and down and
watched as I moved the tuning hammer.  This was just too much excitement
for a little girl to handle, she HAD to get a closer look!  I was
startled as Roxxane suddenly jumped up with a soft thud and starred down
into the action.  I paused for a moment to evaluate the situation but
after deciding that no harm was being done I allowed her to stay and
continued my with work.  She crouched ever closer to see the hammers
move and to watch me pull out the mute strip as I moved up the scale.
Soon I found myself unable to see the tuning pins because of Roxanne!

"Roxxane, could I get you to watch from a little further away?  How
about over here."

I provided her with a new vantage point which satisfied her for all of
about two minutes.  Again I found myself trying to maneuver around the
piano.  Now I'll admit I'm an old softy and I don't mind Roxxane, but I
have never in my many years in this business seen anything like this!
She seemed determined to learn everything there was to know about piano
tuning and wanted to examine all of my tools in detail.  I had to draw
the line however and touching and playing with the action.  Hammers and
action parts are not designed for little teeth!

When I finished I politely petted Roxxane, the 1 year old black kitty,
and bid her good-bye!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV