Glenn Gould & Yamaha Preference

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 15:52:01 -0500

>Does anyone know why Glenn Gould switched from mostly playing Steinways to
>playing Yamahas for the latter part of his life? I know he had his favorite
>Chickering when young, etc.

>Terry Farrell
>Piano Tuning & Service
>Tampa, Florida
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

Terry,

Just for you, I called Glenn's piano technician (now retired) in Toronto.

Apparently, they were having "trouble" with Steinway. He didn't elaborate on whether it was mechanical or tonal, or with Steinway or the Toronto dealer, but trouble enough to have the technician suggest that Glenn try a Yamaha. The result of this try is history. As for his use of a Chickering in his youth, I forgot to ask. We had too many other things to catch up on.

If you'd like the technician's name and address for corresponding purposes, please email me privately.

Happy New Millenium to one and all and if it doesn't work out for me, I'm keeping last year's calendar.

John Lillico, RPT
Oakville, ON
<staytuned@idirect.com>