Mahogany was Wood & Humidity

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:53:50 EST

Del,

Years ago I first heard you talk about the potential of laminated soundboard.
 Since then I have kept my ears and mind open as I came across these
creatures.  I usually found them in pianos which would as you said not sound
very well regardless of the material used.

I have one piano I restrung and reblocked several years ago, a Kimball 5 1/2
footer with a laminated soundboard from the 1950s I think, maybe a little
later.  This piano had an amazing tone, sweet and mellow played softly and
strong and clear played loudly.  The bass was also good for a piano it's
size.  It was played by a couple of professional pianists who were amazed
that it bore the name it did and asked me if I was sure of its genealogy.
This may have been a fluke but it does provide some antidotal evidence in
favor of laminate sound boards.

Unfortunately, I guess it is the nature of our business to be so locked in
"tradition"

Andrew Remillard
Always looking out of the box.