Effect of pitch raise 440-443 and back

Tue, 02 Jan 2001 16:24:13 +0100

Maxpiano@AOL.COM wrote:

> List-
>
> A venue I tune for is having the Czech Philharmonic in February with the
> requirement the piano be tuned to A=443.

Tell them to go home and learn to play at the right pitch.... grin..

> Can raising and lowering be expected to introduce false beats (from moving
> the bends into the speaking length of strings)?
>
> I'll appreciate any advice.

I dont think you should worry much about this. Most false beats of significance
are caused from other things... bridge pin related and wear and tear on the
bearings being probably the largest contributers.

If the piano is clean sounding now, it should be clean sounding afterwards. My
experience anyways. I have yet to significantly improve on  a false beat
situation by simply changeing a strings.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.