Over here! (long)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:25:53 EST

I wrote:
<<> It must be considered that the piano, tuned and used as we know it,
> will not be a forever thing.  After several generations come of age
> in an environment that places the piano along side so many other
> instruments,  it may come to be seen as an anachronistic, expensive,
> limited instrument.
Clark responds:
<I think a century of sameness easily can sustain the instrument for the
foreseeable future.>>

  I dunno about that.  If we look at the last 100 years of piano, we see a
dramatically diminished popularity of the instrument.  The percentage of
young kids that are studying the piano seems to be in a continual decline.  I
think it would be folly to assume that the foresable future will remain as we
know it.
   As far as electronic keyboards having no effect on piano sales,  that
seems contrary to my experience.  I know of one retail store whose owner told
me that he could no longer survive if he had only acoustic pianos to sell.
The margins are getting slim.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT