how long?

Sid Blum sid@sover.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:10:09 -0500

When I was learning I asked my teacher  "How many before I know what's =
going on", and " How many before I might be any good at it.  Answers:  =
100, 1000                Sid Blum sid@sover.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 7:09 PM
  Subject: Re: how long?

  In a message dated 1/2/01 8:14:54 AM Central Standard Time, Billbrpt =
writes:=20

    In a message dated 1/2/01 8:04:36 AM Central Standard Time, =
mstore@nic.fi=20
    (martin store) writes:=20

      how long did it take for you guys to learn to tune?=20

    This is a very individual question, somewhat like "how long does it =
take to=20
    learn to *play* the piano?".  For most people, it takes several =
months at=20
    least to learn all of the basics to get to the point where a job can =
be=20
    done from one end to the other.=20

    You are ready to tune for a paying customer when you can tune a =
piano well=20
    enough in 2 hours or less which will produce some good sounding =
music. =20
    That's a fairly subjective statement but if you read any discussion =
at all=20
    about tuning, you'll see that the question is really never finite.  =
Just=20
    take a glance at the concurrent "Over there..." post.  The truth is, =
the=20
    more you know about tuning, the more you'll discover how you've only =
begun=20
    to learn.=20

    You just have to keep trying.=20

    Bill Bremmer RPT=20