"pulley" keys

Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:13:24 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lance Lafargue" <lancelafargue@bellsouth.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 02, 2001 2:48 PM
Subject: RE: "pulley" keys

> Thanks Del,
> I'm familiar with the CF tool by Yamaha.  My question is, (and I'm
thinking
> of simplicity, accuracy, speed) why would coming in from the bottom with a
> drill bit (TURNED UPSIDE DOWN) the same size as the key pin be a problem?

Only that you are cutting away wood that can't easily be replace. What
happens when you carefully fit the key and then the hole enlarges slightly
with the next weather change? The key will get loose faster if you remove
wood by cutting it away as with a drill bit. When you come down from the top
with a tapered tool, you compress the wood very slightly--more at the top of
the hole than at the bottom. This leaves the key snug at the bottom where it
should be snug and loose at the top where it should be loose.

> If the keys are only "tickling" a bit too much, as you say, isn't that
just
> the very bottom.  I persue this because it is so much faster for me and I
> know the size of the hole when I am finished.  Thanks again,

I agree, your technique is much faster. At least the first time through.
Sadly, faster is not always better. Especially when faced with the task of
tightening up a loose set of keys a couple of years later. Especially if
they are loose because of something you did.

Del