Margo on Meantone

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:58:09 -0600

Margo wrote, via Ed Foote....
       {Meantone}  which Aaron
(1523) may have defined more informally

What synchronicity.  I have a draft of an article on Meantone I hope to
submit
for publication.   If anyone is interested in previewing it and critiquing
(and spell checking it ; )  Please let me know.   About 8 pages.
Specifically on the tuning instructions (translated) of Pietro Aaron and
whether it is or is not 1/4 comma meantone.  The tuner following the
instructions proves the point---I am wondering if different tuners come up
with diff results. That would be for another article though.  ---ric

----- Original Message -----
From: <A440A@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 12:02 PM
Subject: Margo on Meantone

Greetings,
    I have received several questions concerning Meantone history, and think
that  this recent posting from    Margo Schulter" <MSCHULTER@VALUE.NET> goes
far beyond what I could offer.

enjoy or delete!
Ed Foote

Subject: Re: quarter-comma meantone on keyboard

Please let me begin by saying that like many other tunings, 1/4-comma
meantone can be precisely defined in mathematical terms, but will vary
in "real world" realizations, whether on a 16th-century harpsichord
tuned by ear or on a modern synthesizer with limited pitch resolution.
Most respectfully,

Margo Schulter
mschulter@value.net