removing the black mark on our trade

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 05:47:18 EST

I wrote:
><<"No more than a 1' gap  between contact points anywhere along the
flange,">>

Richard writes:
<<Would seem to me that if there was not more then 1 inch distance between
any point the wood contacts the flange and any other such point, then that
flange is pretty well fitted.<<

Greetings,
   I don't think I was too clear about the 1".  The 1" is the maximum
distance, but I usually continue fitting until I have  unbroken lines of
contact from end to end.  As I had tried to explain,  these lines occur on
either side of a slight hollow I grind in the middle of the blocks flange
face.  It often occurs that by the time I have a near continuous line from
bass to treble ends,  I will also begin seeing some contact in the center,
where it once was hollowed out. These lines overlap on the really well fitted
blocks, but sometimes I do have small spaces that I have to leave.  It was
these small gaps between contact points here and there on the face that I try
to keep below the 1" minimum.
  It may be a little neurotic to go this far,<sigh>, but I have this obtuse
obsession with signal entrainment when it comes to the vibrating string, and
besides, I like woodworking.  If I am able to slide a .001" feel gauge
anywhere between the block and plate when I have the piano strung, I get
depressed, so it is worth the extra work to avoid that, also.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT