Ed Seiler IH

Fri, 05 Jan 2001 14:55:08 +0100

Just got done with a job where I had to tune two grands together.
One was a Ed Seiler and the other was a Bluthner. I did the
Seiler first. I noticed some off the wall sounding things in the
tenor / treble section but just tuned my way through them... not
feeling entirely well this morning.

But when I started to tune the Bluthner it became evident quite
quickly that something was definately amiss... A4 sounded good
between the two... but A3 sounded downright horrible.  I went
back and forth a bit checking the octaves in each individual
piano.. and a few check intervals... couldnt find what the heck
the problem was... so I brought out my handy dandy Pianolyser and
found the strangest stuff with this Seiler.

A3 had the following inharmonicity readings... I took them in
Hertz so you all could see the problem immediately like...

fund.      221.02
2            441.25
3            661.76
4            883.76
5            1115.42
6            1327.85

I found the same kind of thing on A#3. On the Bluthner I found
more reasonable readings. I proceeded to simply tune the Bluthner
to the same pitch and let the differences "fall where they may"
as it was clearly hopeless to get these two to sound good
together at the same time as good individually in the amount of
time I had.

I will see both these pianos a lot in the future as they are
newly aquired by the Uib music dept. I will be able to take some
time in the future to see how much of the rest of the piano
yields such strange IH readings.

The Seiler is # 140743 and is 240 cm. Its the same one that I
mentioned had the weird bridge pin boring a couple weeks back.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.