heart stopper

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 18:00:26 -0900

the
>large allen wrench used to tighten the leg bolts.
>
>Apparently the movers had left it there when they set up the piano. While
>the
>soundboard had moisture in it, it held the allen wrench tight between the
>rib
>and the beam. But we've had so much cold weather here the last month, the
>soundboard dried out enough to allow it to vibrate against the rib.

Wim,

I had an almost identical problem over about 8 months last year on a Baldwin
SD-10 at a conference center.  Only the loud buzz was intermittent.  I did
everything I could think of (all the screws everywhere are nice and tight
now!) and it would seem to go away, only to return at a later date and drive
the pianists crazy. Then it would "magically" go away again.

It happened immediately after trying some new procedures on it with a
visiting tech and Murray kept insisting "It's his fault!  We never had that
problem before."

Finally, the night before a two piano concert, the noise was back and _bad_.
  I was desperate, I had already tried everything I could think of.  So I
started trying them all again.  Lo and behold!  A small, round thingee
wedged between the plate and the soundboard in the high treble where it
could barely be seen with a flashlight and mirror.  When it was humid, it
was tight, when the board dried out, it buzzed.  Even after I found it, it
took a long time to get it out.  It was the knob from a microphone.  Now
it's my trophy :-)

Diane